Way back in 1931 - in the midst of the Great Depression - two brothers, Earl G. Pitman, Sr. and O. B. Pitman, Jr. opened Dothan Glass Company. With their strong belief in the Biblical principles of honesty and fairness, they provided their customers with the highest quality workmanship and materials. They were also heavily involved in civic activities, and for their work in helping organize Dothan's first recreation department, Pitman Field athletic facility was named in their honor. Over the years and with the involvement of other members of the family other shops were opened and prospered.
As older members of the family retired and/or were claimed by death the second generation assumed the role of leadership. Earl G. (Buddy) Pitman, Jr. became the corporate president in 1975. He and his sister, Pat McClendon, purchased the stock of the company from other family members. Patís husband, Tom McClendon, was active in the business as an officer and manager of the Dothan branch until his retirement in 1991. Buddy Pitman bought their stock and became the owner of the company along with his wife, Delayne R. Pitman and Earl Gray Pitman, III.
Today, the company operates full-service glass shops in Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach, FL., and in the Leesburg, GA. area. In 1997, an operation supplying commercial wood and metal doors, hollow metal frames and builders hardware was started under the name of Builders Door and Hardware in Dothan, AL. The commitment to providing quality products along with the best in professional workmanship and courteous and efficient service remains the mainstay at all corporate operations.